Upcoming programs (save the dates):
- Join us at Spring Mill State Park, September 24 & 25, 3-5pm, as we celebrate the 100th year of Indiana state parks. Join us either day between 3 and 5pm. We'll do our little walk three times. Details to come.
- February 26, 7pm: We will tell the story of famed Indiana author Lew Wallace (Ben-Hur).
- May 13 (time TBD): Our 20th Anniversary program exploring Happiness, including a look back at past favorite Voces Novae programs.
Recent news and events:
Supporting Players. April 10, 2016. We explored celebrity and notoriety. We examined those in the shadow of brighter lights, extoled the paragons who support us, and asked why we might choose to sing back-up to others and what we are willing to uphold.
Points of Light: December 18, 2015. Krista Detor's annual holiday concert to benefit visually impaired preschool services.
Meditations on Life~Death. We revisited the beautiful music from our double-CD book, Meditations on Life~Death, in two concerts on November 1, 2015. Music by Bach, Barber, Billings, Elgar, Ešenvalds, Haydn, Schuman, Wilbye.
Peter Jacobi's review of Meditations on Life~Death in the Herald-Times (subscription required):
"They sing with passion, making a listener feel as if nothing is more important during the concert’s hour than that concert."
On Friday May 15, 2015, Voces Novae presented Gender 101: A Choral Cabaret, a light-hearted look at the span of human gender possibilities, with music ranging from Victorian parlor songs to music theater tunes, pop/rock favorites and Eric Whitacre. Over 100 people attended the two shows.
Voces Novae participated in the dedication of the monuments for George Shively and his family members at Rose Hill Cemetery at a ceremony on Easter Sunday. Learn more >>
More than 150 people joined us for Whaddya Know? on March 8, 2015"Piecing a program of music together often isn’t enough for Susan Swaney, the creative artistic director of Voces Novae, the always-a-pleasure-to-hear community choir she has nurtured for years. The group’s stated mission is 'to use music to explore ideas that enrich and inform our daily experience.'... Swaney chose the music widely and wisely, in support of her mind games. What pleased me most was the flow of music and the impressively high quality of the singing. That’s what I came for; that’s what I got." - Review excerpt of Whaddya Know? by Peter Jacobi, Herald-Times
- A musical walking tour of the B-Line Trail, October 11, 2014.
- WFHB Interchange producers Doug Storm and Trish Kerlé recorded much of the May 17, 2014, Rose Hill walkabout. It's now available as a podcast >>
- Learn more about past programs >>
Flight of the Bumblebee from our Superheroes! program
Latin for new voices, Voces Novae is a Bloomington, Indiana-based community chamber choir whose mission is to use music, and the arts generally, to explore ideas that enrich and inform our daily experience.
Voces Novae has consistently placed the arts into unexpected or stimulating contexts and places, creating a fresh look at old masterpieces and presenting new works in the service of broad and interesting ideas.
If you would like to contribute to Voces Novae, see Contact Us >>